Sport psychology services offered:
- Individual and group therapy sessions
- Individual and team consultation sessions
- Family sessions
- Parent consultations
- Educational workshops
- Coach trainings
Common targets of sport psychology treatment:
- Performance anxiety
- Depression or burnout symptoms
- Emotion control problems
- Relationship conflicts
- Body image concerns
- Concentration difficulties
- Injury recovery
Sport psychology FAQs:
What is sport psychology?
- Sport psychology is the science dedicated to the understanding of behaviors and mental processes in sport settings.
What does a sport psychologist do?
- Sport psychologists can help athletes and coaches to understand how mental factors affect their performance, and introduce specific strategies to help them strengthen their mental skills.
Outside of his practice, Dr. Kaufman teaches Sport Psychology and co-leads a sport psychology research lab at Catholic University in Washington, DC, which has developed an influential treatment for athletes, MSPE. His team's latest writing on MSPE appears in the new book Mindfulness And Performance and Dr. Kaufman is lead author of an upcoming book about MSPE to be published by the American Psychological Association in 2017.
Dr. Kaufman also has written articles or chapters appearing in
- Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology
- Wiley Blackwell Handbook of Mindfulness
- competitor magazine
- NCAA Sport Science Institute Newsletter
and been interviewed regarding his sport psychology work by media outlets like
- The Washington Post
- Washingtonian Magazine
- Runner's World
- Miami Herald
- Experience Life Magazine
He now has a consulting relationship with the DC Psyching Team, The True Athlete Project, and Academy One Goalkeeping. Click here to check out The True Athlete Project's brand new blog, dedicated to changing the culture of sport, which Dr. Kaufman has contributed to and mentions MSPE in multiple postings.
Dr. Kaufman is currently accepting new clients in his Washington, DC and Fairfax offices. He is a licensed psychologist in Washington, DC and Virginia.
Fill out the form below to schedule an appointment or a FREE 15-minute phone consultation.